How Can Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy Help with Infertility?Feb 01, 2023
Depending on your needs, a single IVF cycle can cost somewhere between $15,000 and $30,000.
Approximately 10% of women in the United States aged 15-44 years have difficulty getting pregnant or staying pregnant, which is considered infertility. This equates to approximately 6.1 million women. It is important to note that infertility is a complex issue that can be caused by a variety of factors and many couples are able to conceive with medical intervention or assistance.
So where does physical therapy come into play? In a study performed from 2002-2011, there were significant success stories from nearly 1,400 participants who participated in pelvic floor PT. Women struggling with endometriosis, PCOS, Fallopian tube occlusion, and hormone dysregulation were included in this study. For patients with occluded Fallopian tubes, there was a 57% success rate of pregnancy following physical therapy treatment. For patients with a diagnosis of PCOS, there was a pregnancy success rate of approximately 54%. Patients with endometriosis experienced a 42.81% pregnancy rate. That is HUGE!
What are the common causes of female infertility?
1. Failure to Ovulate
2. Structural or mechanical problems of the reproductive system
3. Implantation Failure
5. Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)
6. Uterine Fibroids
7. Autoimmune Disorders
8. Issues in the Menstrual Cycle
Pelvic floor physical therapy can help with infertility in several ways:
1. Improving blood flow: Physical therapy can help increase blood flow to the pelvic region, which can help improve the chances of successful conception.
2. Improving muscle function: Pelvic floor muscle dysfunction can be a contributing factor to infertility. Physical therapy can help improve the strength and coordination of these muscles, which can increase the chances of successful conception.
3. Reducing pain and discomfort: Infertility can be a physically and emotionally challenging time. Physical therapy can help alleviate any pain or discomfort in the pelvic floor muscles that may be hindering conception.
4. Addressing hormonal imbalances: Hormonal imbalances can play a role in infertility. Pelvic floor physical therapy can help address hormonal imbalances by addressing the underlying causes, such as muscle imbalances, breathing dysfunction or poor posture.
5. Reducing myofascial restrictions: Reducing myofascial restrictions in the pelvic floor and surrounding musculature can be greatly beneficial by reducing mechanical barriers.
It is important to note that pelvic floor PT is a great adjunct to conventional medical treatment for infertility. If you're struggling with infertility, it's best to consult with a healthcare professional for a proper evaluation and treatment plan.
THERE ARE OPTIONS OUTSIDE OF IVF AND IUI.
If you are looking for a pelvic floor physical therapist who has experience working with patients who have fertility concerns, give us a call.
Remember, we are better together.
Dr. Alyssa and Dr. Bree 💛
Renew Health is committed to changing the way that pelvic health is being viewed and delivered. Together, we can do better.
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.